Get Your C1 Licence for Motorhomes, Horseboxes & Ambulances | Craig Baker Driver Training
  • Zone 6, Unit 60 & 63L, Bradley Hall Trading Estate, WN6 0XQ

Do You Need a C1 Licence to Drive Motorhomes, Horseboxes, and Ambulances?

  • Home
  • Do You Need a C1 Licence to Drive Motorhomes, Horseboxes, and Ambulances?
Motorhome, Horsebox, Ambulance c1 training

Do I Need a C1 Licence to Drive Motorhomes, Horseboxes, and Ambulances?

When planning to drive larger vehicles such as motorhomes, horseboxes, or ambulances, it’s essential to understand the different driving licence categories and their requirements in the UK. At Craig Baker Driver Training, we specialise in providing comprehensive training for various licence categories, including the C1 licence, which is crucial for operating these types of vehicles legally and safely.


What is a C1 Licence?

A C1 licence allows individuals to drive vehicles weighing between 3,500kg and 7,500kg with a trailer up to 750kg. If you’re looking to drive a larger motorhome, a horsebox, or work as an ambulance driver, obtaining a C1 licence could be necessary.



Why Do You Need a C1 Licence?


Driving Motorhomes

As motorhomes provide the comforts of home on the road, they are typically heavier and larger than standard vehicles. Many of the more spacious and well-equipped motorhomes exceed the 3,500kg weight limit that a standard Category B (car) licence. If your dream motorhome falls into this category, you will need a C1 licence to drive it.


Operating Horseboxes

For horse owners, transporting your animals safely and comfortably is a priority. Horseboxes designed to carry multiple animals easily surpass the weight limits for a standard driving licence, making a C1 licence essential for larger horseboxes.


Ambulance Driving

Ambulances are critical for providing emergency services and are typically heavier and larger than standard vehicles. Driving an ambulance not only requires a C1 licence but also a driver with the ability to handle high-pressure situations responsibly.


Driving Delivery Vehicles

For those involved in the delivery industry, especially in the case of delivering goods in larger or heavier vehicles, a standard Category B licence might not suffice. Similar to driving large motorhomes or horseboxes, delivery vehicles such as large vans or small trucks that exceed the 3,500kg weight limit require a Category C1 licence. This licence allows drivers to operate vehicles up to 7,500kg with or without a trailer weighing up to 750kg. As a delivery driver, handling larger vehicles not only involves understanding more complex vehicle dynamics but also navigating delivery schedules and routes efficiently, which adds an additional layer of responsibility and skill to the role.



How to Obtain Your C1 Licence?

Training with Craig Baker Driver Training: Our expert instructors at Craig Baker Driver Training provide tailored C1 licence training. The process is straightforward:

  1. Medical Exam: All applicants must pass a medical exam to ensure they are fit to drive larger vehicles.
  2. Theory Test: Similar to other driving categories, a theory test must be passed, which covers topics specific to driving larger vehicles.
  3. Practical Training: We offer comprehensive practical training, which is crucial for mastering the skills needed to safely operate a larger vehicle.
  4. Practical Test: After completing your training, you'll take a practical driving test to demonstrate your ability to drive a C1 category vehicle.


Click here to watch our step by step video on how to get a HGV licence



Why Choose Craig Baker Driver Training?

At Craig Baker Driver Training, we pride ourselves on our professional, knowledgeable instructors and our high success rates. We understand that obtaining a C1 licence can open new opportunities for our clients, whether it's for professional or personal use. Our training is designed to ensure you not only pass your test but also become a safe and confident driver of larger vehicles.



Whether you’re looking to explore the great outdoors in a spacious motorhome, need to transport horses for equestrian events, or aim to embark on a career in ambulance services, obtaining a C1 licence expands your driving capabilities and opportunities. At Craig Baker Driver Training, we are here to guide you through every step of the process with expert advice and quality training. Contact us today to start your journey toward obtaining your C1 licence.



Book your C1 licence (7.5 ton) course today.

Copyright 2023 Craig Baker Driver Training.
Craig Baker Driver Training LTD registered in England and Wales under the company registration number: 12546627
VAT Registration Number: 363854766.

Website Design and SEO by Sam Heaton