Thank You For Booking With Us
Thank you for booking in with us for trailer lessons here are all the details that you may need to know.
- If you have only paid a deposit for the course the rest of the balance is due at least 3 working days before the scheduled first lesson.
- Please bring your licence with you on the lessons and on the test day (your test wont go ahead without it)
- If you need to wear glasses make sure you wear them whilst driving
- If you have any questions about anything please dont hesitate to get in touch
- you will need to know the answers to the Show Me/ Tell Me Questions answers are below
- you will need to know how to uncouple a trailer in a specific order a video of this is available below
- Any Lessons that you need to cancel or re-arrange need at least 48 hours (3 working days for tests) if any lessons or tests are cancelled within this period then you will still be charged and no refunds will be given.
Now that you are booked in here are some details about the test.
What happens during the car and trailer test
There are 6 parts to the driving test:
- an eyesight check
- ‘show me, tell me’ vehicle safety questions
- reversing your vehicle
- general driving ability
- independent driving
- uncoupling and recoupling the trailer
You’ll drive for around 50 minutes.
You’ll have to read a number plate from a distance of:
- 20 metres for vehicles with a new-style number plate
- 20.5 metres for vehicles with an old-style number plate
New-style number plates start with 2 letters followed by 2 numbers, for example, AB51 ABC.
You’ll fail your driving test if you fail the eyesight check. The test will end.
‘Show me, tell me’ questions
You’ll be asked 5 vehicle safety questions known as the ‘show me, tell me’ questions. These test that you know how to carry out basic safety checks. Please use this link to fo a list of all questions and answers.
Reversing your vehicle
You’ll have to show that you can manoeuvre your car and trailer into a restricted space and stop at a certain point.
The examiner will show you a diagram of where to reverse your vehicle.
Your general driving ability
You’ll drive in various road and traffic conditions, including motorways where possible.
The examiner will give you directions that you should follow. Driving test routes aren’t published, so you can’t check them before your test.
Pulling over at the side of the road
You’ll be asked to pull over and pull away during your test, including:
- normal stops at the side of the road
- pulling out from behind a parked vehicle
- a hill start
You’ll have to drive for about 25 minutes by following either:
- traffic signs
- a series of verbal directions
- a combination of both
The examiner can show you a simple diagram to help you understand where you’re going when following verbal directions.
You can’t use a sat nav.
If you can’t see traffic signs
If you can’t see a traffic sign (eg because it’s covered by trees), the examiner will give you directions until you can see the next one.
Forgetting the directions
You can ask the examiner to confirm the directions if you forget them. It doesn’t matter if you don’t remember every direction.
Going off the route
Your test result won’t be affected if you go off the route, unless you make a fault while doing it.
The examiner will help you get back on the route if you take a wrong turning.
Uncoupling and recoupling the trailer
You’ll be asked to:
- uncouple your car from the trailer
- park the car alongside the trailer
- realign the car with the trailer and recouple them
If you make mistakes during your test
You can carry on if you make a mistake. It might not affect your result if it’s not serious.
The examiner will only stop your test if they think your driving is a danger to other road users.
Where to meet us
If we have agreed to meet at our place in Wigan the address is St Pats Rugby Club, Harper Street, Wigan, WN1 3BN
if we have agreed to meet at Atherton Test Centre the address is 1 Gibfield Park Ave, Atherton, Manchester M46 0SU. Please do not park inside the test centre find parking on the road outside and we will meet you there
if we have agreed to meet at St Helens Test Centre the address is 1 Navigation Road, St Helens, WA91NS. Please do not park inside the test centre find parking on the road outside and we will meet you there