Do I need to take a trailer test?
Many of our customers have had experience using a trailer but have never taken their test. It’s just a matter of time before you get caught.
These days the fines and point on your licence are very severe. There’s also a very good chance your vehicle will be seized. It’s simply not worth it.
The cost of passing your trailer test is lower than the cost of getting caught.
Despite what many people think, there is actually no such thing as a ‘trailer licence’. Depending on the weight of the load you plan to tow you might need to take an additional category driving test to upgrade your existing licence.
Here’s how it works. It depends on when you passed your driving test.
If you passed your driving test after January 2013 in a car or small vehicle (called category B), you are allowed to tow:
- A small trailer weighing less than 750kg
- A trailer over 750kg provided the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is less than 3,500kg (MAM)
So if you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, or when the combined weight of both vehicles is more than 3,500kg, you’ll need to pass a new test to get your B+E entitlement on your existing licence.
If you passed your driving test after January 1st 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you are allowed to:
- Drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes OR 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
- Tow a trailer over 750kg MAM, provided the combined weight of both vehicles is less than 3,500kg
So for anything heavier than this you will need to take a category B+E driving test.
If you passed your driving test before 1 January 1997 you’re generally allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM, but you should double check here what your licence allows you to tow.
PASS YOUR TEST TODAY
When you pass your trailer towing test you will be able to drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg and tow a trailer up to 3,500kg. When you book with us today, you will benefit from the following:
- A choice of trailer test packages designed to suit your trailer experience so far.
- Friendly and highly qualified trailer test instructors.
- Use one of our vehicles and trailers for training and the test. They are fully insured and meet all the required legal standards.
- In a rush? We often have short notice courses available to meet your needs.
- Competitive prices with no VAT!
How much does the Trailer Test Cost?
Your previous experience of towing a trailer will determine which one is right for you. These carefully designed courses provide absolutely everything you need to pass your test. We also include a complete training manual to make your life even easier.
Which course is right for you? Good question. Everyone learns at a different rate. Our pass rate is incredibly high and the trick is to make sure you get exactly the right amount of training to give you the best chance of passing the first time.
Not Sure? Why not try an assessment lesson with one of our instructors for 2 hours we will asses your driving and ability to manoeuvre the trailer and let you know the best course for you for only £95.
2 Hour Assessment £95
6 Hour Course £270 Plus £115 for the driving test
8 Hour Course £360 Plus £115 for the driving test
10 Hour Course £399 Plus £115 for the driving test
12 Hour Course £480 Plus £115 for the driving test
16 Hour Course £640 Plus £115 for the driving test